I say brilliant because it’s been so long since I made a cake, it made me feel good just to put it in the oven. Eating it was a bonus! I’m just working on getting my mojo back in the kitchen. This is easy and a great way to use up over ripe bananas. I’m a fan of the cup system, I prefer to use the American measure for ingredients because it’s so much easier than weighing everything out.
3 large ripe bananas
2 large eggs
3/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/3 cup plain yogurt
2 cups plain flour
teaspoon baking powder
teaspoon vanilla extract
- Set the oven to 180 degrees Centigrade or 350 Fahrenheit and prepare a loaf pan, I used one that was 30cm x 10cm
- Put all the dry ingredients in a large bowl, plain flour, baking powder, salt and cinnamon.
- In another bowl beat the butter and brown sugar together until smooth and creamy in texture. I don’t have a mixer so I do this by hand with a fork. Same result!
- Add the eggs one at a time and mix, add the yogurt and the mashed bananas and vanilla extract. I used a hand blender at this stage, just to get rid of all the lumps and make a good smooth batter.
- Slowly add the dry ingredients to the wet eggs and banana mix. Don’t don’t over beat the mix but make sure it is all mixed together.
- Bake in the centre of the oven for one hour but check it regularly and make sure it doesn’t over brown. Insert a clean skewer and if it comes out clean then it’s done.
- Let it cool on a wire rack. You can put some slices into a container in the freezer.